Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Charlie Don't Surf, But Does He Marry?

Charles Manson, 79, to marry girlfriend ‘Star,’ 25? She says yes; he says ‘garbage’ 

Murderer Manson is still doing life in Corcoran Prison for the Tate-LaBianca slayings — His girlfriend wants the world to know that he is her "husband."

  Serial killer Charles Manson is to marry his 25-year-old girlfriend behind bars, she has claimed.
In an interview with Rolling Stone magazine, the young woman who calls herself "Star," tells the world that she is to be the next bride of the 79-year-old.
 "I'll tell you straight up, Charlie and I are going to get married," she told Rolling Stone. "When that will be, we don't know. But I take it very seriously. Charlie is my husband. Charlie told me to tell you this. We haven't told anybody about that."
 "People can think I'm crazy. But they don't know. This is what's right for me. This is what I was born for." The pair have been in a relationship since "Star" was 19. She began visiting him at Corcoran State Prison in California when she was still a teenager. She is originally from Missouri.
"Star" has even cut an "X" into her forehead, in an apparent twisted homage to Mason's swastika symbol. Manson has been incarcerated for 44 years since the cult leader was convicted of the murders of actress Sharon Tate and Leno and Rosemary LaBianco.
Manson, who has been married twice before, denied the claim of marriage.

I say:
Having read the piece in Rolling Stone I had some Charlie flashbacks. I'm not old enough to have been around for the original 1969 murders but I did grow up occasionally seeing a grizzly, bearded character (that I thought was Charles Bronson!) on tv every once in a while being denied parole. The fact that I would see him in a film and in jail never confounded my young brain; I just accepted it.
But anyway, the Rolling Stone piece is listed as the Last Confessions of Manson but I somehow doubt it. Prison is what he's lived most of his life, so why would he die soon? He's in the special convicts unit, not general population. The prison stopped allowing recorded interviews some 20 years ago so that's why we haven't seen the grinning Manson for a long time.
Every decade or so I have a Charlie binge and recommend the new book by Jeff Guinn for Manson starters. It does tell some interesting facts on his early life and goes into detail throughout the murder trials. However, it does skimp on his life afterwards and summarizes the last 44 years in few pages.
Morbid, but fascinating stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment