Friday, December 20, 2013

Just saw this and wanted to share for any of us who have fond memories of great horror:

Today, In Topical News: New Friday The 13th Joins The 2015 Movie Pile, Spin-Off Web Series Also Coming

friday 13thSean S. Cunningham is the creator of Friday the 13th, the co-writer and director of the first instalment. While it’s not necessarily fair to say he’s also the creator of Jason Vorhees as we know him – that well-worn trivia about the first film in the series will tell you why – he has become a figurehead for the series.
And so he’s been doing some interviews to promote the Blu-ray collection of all twelve films in the series, inclusive of the 2009 do-over, and as well as much talk of the past, there was some forecasting of tomorrow.*
Sepaking with FearNET, Cunningham says that the next Friday the 13th film will “probably” get shot in the spring and then released early in 2015. Good, because I was wondering what would be on at the pictures in 2015 and was worried that there wouldn’t be anything big, flashy and well-branded to go see.
As to what shape the new film will take, Cunningham considered it unlikely that any characters would be carried over from the 2009 reboot:
That’s not likely, but it’s hard to know. It won’t be a continuation of that story, though. It’ll be a fresh story.
But that won’t be the end of it. There’s also some kind of TV spin-off coming, and it sounds a bit like they’re following the Bates Motel recipe:
I think there will also be Friday the 13th: Crystal Lake Chronicles, which is sort of a Smallville. We’ve been on-again off-again with that for years and there are a bunch of great stories to be told, but I think the way that it’s finally going to get delivered is not through a conventional television network, but through the Internet. I can’t tell you who the delivery people will be, but it won’t be the traditional route. There’s also the possibility of webisodes…
…It’s also more than just me saying, “You know, Friday the 13th would be a great series!” We’ve got a couple of really good writers that have been working and writing. It can’t be just Jason killing someone new every week. That’s not going to make it.
What’s the difference between a TV show on the internet and webisodes? That’s not entirely clear to me. Perhaps the former requires a paying subscription network, like Hulu or Netflix or Amazon, while the latter just has it’s own ads.
And, you know, just in case that’s not enough Jason for your small screen, Cunningham added:
and I think we even have an idea for a terrific Friday the 13th video game.
I’m not averse to slasher films, not by any means, but I never developed much of a taste for Friday the 13th. I’m much more of a Freddy Krueger fella, really.
Not that there can’t be good stories to tell about this character and his context. Maybe the Bates Motel idea is a really good one. I certainly want to know more.
*I don’t mean Saturday the 14th
I say:

I lived through the 90s waiting for a decent Friday the 13th after the miserable Part 9 (ugh) and the at-least-it-had-Jason Part 8 where Jason takes Canada, I mean New York for a few minutes. Jason X had a few fun moments but overall, again pretty dreadful. Freddy vs. Jason was fun, good stuff. Robert Englund is always a goof. The reboot had a great kill (machete halfway down the dude's head in the beginning) but sadly seemed more like Jason The Chainsaw Massacre for my tastes. Some good moments again. That said, I'm a diehard lover of the first four, though Part 6 is very, very well done as well. You remember the first batch, where Jason was actually pretty creepy?
The sad news: I've heard this 2015 Friday will be a found footage type of film which could be interesting...if only they'd give us a nice one with Jason in the woods, some great non-CGI kills and a lot of nudity. Give me the sleazoid feel of Part 5 anytime.
Time to go fire up The Final Chapter, pull my pants up high and find my corkscrew.

No comments:

Post a Comment